This a simple dish that goes well with spicy curries.. Best had with a hot mutton curry!
Rice – 2 cups, washed & soaked for an hour
Onions – 2 large ones, finely sliced
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
Ginger – 1″ piece, crushed
Green Cardamoms – 3
Cloves – 3-4
Bay leaves – 2
Peppercorns – 5-6
Cinnamon – 1/2″ piece
Cashew nuts – 10-12, broken into 1/2″ pieces
Raisins – 10-12
Ghee (Clarified Butter)
Coriander leaves – chopped, to garnish
1. Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a heat bottom pan and fry the cashew nuts & raisins. Remove.
2. Now fry half the sliced onions till they become crisp & brown. Remove.
3. Add 1 tsp of ghee to the pan & then put in all the whole spices.
4. Next goes the remaining onions, fry till they turn translucent.
5. Put in the rice & salt and stir till the rice turns a slight pink.
6. Now add water (a little less than double the quantity of rice).
7. Once cooked, turn off the flame and stir in the cashews & raisins, onions & coriander leaves.