This is a quick recipe which can be had immediately after cooking. Surprisingly its a hit even with kids, as the salt & vinegar mute the heat of the chillies.
Here are the ingredients–
Green Chillies – 250 gms
Fenugreek seeds – 3/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 1/4 tsp
White mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Ginger – 2″ piece
Garlic – 5-6 cloves
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Sugar – 2 1/2 tsp
Vinegar – 500 ml
Oil – 500 ml
1. Slit green chillies lengthwise, apply salt and store it in an airtight box for an hour. Wear gloves if your hands are sensitive to the chillies.
2. Grind the fenugreek, cumin, mustard, ginger , garlic and turmeric with half the vinegar.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy kadai and fry the ground paste.
4. Once well done add the remaining vinegar.
5. Drain the water from the chillies and add the chillies to the fried paste. Cook for a while, test for salt.
6. Add the sugar and cook for another couple of minutes.
7. Remove from heat, cool and store in a airtight bottle.